Wizards are creepy.
One day somebody said, “Hey, I’ve got no friends, a knack for studying, and a high opinion of myself. I bet I can use that to fuck with the world around me,” and as it happened, they could.
There are eight distinct wizardly disciplines.
The Eight Towers
Each school has its own tower containing ancient libraries and scholars. Anybody serious about wanting to be a wizard appeals to study at one of the eight towers. They’re all in kind of out-of-the-way locations, because wizards are weird.
- Afsværganoor – School of Abjuration in the Glasragh Floodplains
- Aíviloknoor – School of Necromancy near the Deadlands
- Blekkingnoor – School of Illusion in the Metal Desert
- Cyfarethnoor – School of Enchantment N Dathannachy
- Drawsnewidnoor – School of Transmutation N Wrecked Country
- Fremkaldenoor – School of Evocation W Yaugheley
- Rithidnoor – School of Conjuration on Shepherd’s Cape in the First Realm
- Spaurnoor – School of Divination on the Polar Island
Level 1 and level 2. They’re just putting their spellbooks together and maybe applying for admission to a particular tower.
Level 3 and level 4. They’re often in the company of a TA
Level 5 and level 6. You can distinguish these wizards by their copper 5-pointed star badge.
Level 7 and level 8. They wear a silver 5-pointed star badge.
Level 9+ and marked with a golden, 5-pointed star badge,
These wizards are, for the most part, all elves, half-elves, dwarves, halflings, and gnomes. All the other races generally die too young to achieve this rank, or can’t keep it for long.
The Ninth School: Municipal Wizardry
The newest, “ninth” school of wizardry is Invention.
Wizards of this discipline are called warp wizards.
As they are all civil servants, their numerous towers (which are smaller than the monolithic towers of the core disciplines) are located in metropolitan administrative districts.
Most human kingdoms have at least one, located in their capital city.
Because Invention of new magics is very difficult, involving a lot of engineering and craftsmanship, the majority of Inventors are gnomes and dwarves. Their racial aptitudes and long lifespans lend them the necessary skills for the job.
All municipal wizards are Aces.
See also: the Warp Rondels